Monday, October 9, 2017

1/3

It's hard to believe that I'm already a third of the way through this crazy journey. With summer school over, it is time to make way for the serious shit. Sydney and I just got our fifth iteration of our schedules for the year (and it won't be the last), and we can't help but feel a little overwhelmed. We are required to create course outlines for our classes, and it's a bit surreal planning out how we will spend the rest of our days in Cambodia.

This year we are the guinea pigs for a new English class structure. The English students have been separated into two groups per grade; one advanced and one needing a little extra help. I didn't think we would get past the scheduling phase, as the split added numerous classes and confusion to the already packed schedule. The books didn't arrive for some time either, and we're still waiting on a few. But I have to say, after getting the chance to experience some of my new classes, I think this change will be beneficial for both the students and teachers.

Instead of having a large uncontrollable group of hyperactive kids, I now have extremely small groups of children that are quiet, respectful, and eager to learn. I have the ability to engage in more meaningful discussions and cover more interesting topics. So even with all the confusion and added stress, I am grateful to be the guinea pig.

When I first started teaching, I was a bit worried because of one particular idiosyncrasy of my own mind. Whenever I have something marked on my mental calendar, I unintentionally devote a great deal of mental resources to worrying about the upcoming event, and greatly look forward to crossing it off my to-do list. Fortunately for me, my teaching schedule has challenged this manner of thinking. Sometimes I have one class in the morning, and not another until 4 in the afternoon, forcing me to just go with the flow and not give a damn about it until the time comes.

It is this going with the flow that I have become much better at. Despite the overwhelming nature of the school year at present, I know in a few weeks it will all feel normal again. I just need to give it time. So next time you're stressing, just tell yourself it'll all be okay in the end, and just go with the flow. You'll be surprised where it can take you.

I have always considered myself a "yes man," trying to make everyone happy at the same time. I usually succeeded, but at the cost of my own happiness. While waiting for books to arrive, I decided to show my students Yes Man starring Jim Carey. A film about a real sad sack of a man who learns what the power of yes can do for one's life. Being a yes man myself, when one of the TGC accountants asked if I wanted to go on a boat ride this past weekend, I couldn't help but say yes, and I'm sure as hell happy I did.

The journey started with a trip to pick up a friend, and yet another friend with an alligator farm. I've seen alligators at zoos, where they just mope around and hardly move, but never before have I been able to see so many alligators up close and personal. On top of that, they were extremely active. One of the little ones even snapped at me ferociously from beneath the wire fence. We then made our way to the lake where we would be taking our boat ride, which was the same place Sydney and I had been taken before by one of the English teachers. Except this time, I'd be experiencing it in an entirely different way.

We all piled into a boat which sort of resembled a giant motorized canoe, and set sail for the horizon. Monsoon season has recently begun, and because of all the rain we were floating eye-level with the tops of trees inhabiting the lake. We ventured through a thick patch of vegetation and came out clean on the other side, where we stopped for a little swimming. I was fully clothed so I was hesitant to jump in, but as more and more people jumped into the water, I couldn't help but dive in as well. Clothes and all.

The water was perfect, even slightly hot in some places, as the scorching Cambodian sun beats down on it day in and day out. We piled back into the boat and moved towards the center of the lake. It was so vast that I would have thought I was in the ocean, if it weren't for the occasional patch of trees watching us in the distance. I was worried that I would be the only one who spoke English, however one of the people with us spoke excellent English, and we became friends while floating in the water and talking about each other's pasts.

When it was time to go back, the sun was beginning to set, and the whole ride was spent reflecting about how fortunate I am to have this experience, and that at times it seems too good to be true. I felt like I was in some sort of movie. My eyes were focused on the horizon as water splashed up from the boat and the sunset grew more and more intense as we cruised further and further away. At one point it alligned perfectly with the top of the only mountain in sight, and the clouds resembled a city in the sky (Bespin perhaps?).

Unable to say no, I agreed to having dinner with everyone at my new friend's house, where I was shown a mushroom farm containing thousands of bags of mushrooms from which they grew. The bags were hung from the ceiling and created what seemed like catacombs, except for mushrooms; dimly lit by a few light bulbs in the night air. When it was time to eat, I joined everyone at the table and put my novice chopstick skills to the test, eating whatever was it front of me. I have to say, it was pretty good, however it took three water bottles to wash it down on account of how spicy it was! My lips felt like I kissed the devil.

Before I knew it it was time to go, and I reflected on all the new friends I had made and how grateful I was for saying yes. I'm the type of person who enjoys his alone time, drawing or getting lost in a good book. But in Cambodia, a journey into the unknown is always more fun. And from now on, I won't think twice about saying yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment