Saturday, August 5, 2017

The Mantra of Minerva Fellows

During my interview for the Minerva Fellowship, I was asked about my thoughts regarding teaching. To the Director of Minerva Programs, Tom McEvoy's dismay, I said I was not interested in teaching. Something about getting in front of a group of students everyday and "presenting" triggered past anxiety about public speaking mishaps, which fortunately I have since overcome. Fast forward a few weeks to decision time, and I received an email from Tom asking if I would be interested in going to Cambodia, to you guessed it, teach.

It didn't take much convincing because when an opportunity like this is presented to you, you seize it. I knew I would be completely outside of my comfort zone, and my suspicions were correct. Part of the reason I did not want to teach was because I didn't think teaching was entrepreneurial, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Teachers must be adaptable, creative with their lesson plans and activities, organized, persistent, effective leaders, and able to roll with the punches. All of these qualities are paramount if one plans to become a successful entrepreneur, and I am extremely grateful for my placement in Cambodia as I am learning more than I ever thought I would. Between working as a teacher and business consultant for Joe to Go, I am receiving a rather expansive education in the subject of life.

Since landing on the ground in Cambodia, the prestige that is typically associated with being a Minerva Fellow has dissipated. Many apply and few are accepted, but once a fellow is on the ground in his or her respective community, the work to be completed is all that matters. Most of the people Minerva Fellows work with have been through so much more, and have overcome far greater obstacles. Thus, the people we work with are the true inspirations. Lao Tzu said it best in his quote which has become the mantra for Minerva Fellows:

“Go to the people. 

Live with them. 

Learn from them. 

Love them. 

Start with what they know. 

Build with what they have. 

But with the best leaders, 

when the work is done, 

the task accomplished, 

the people will say 

'We have done this ourselves.”

No comments:

Post a Comment