Monday, January 1, 2018

Digital Art Lab

Eight months after its initial inception, the idea for my digital art lab finally blossomed into a full-fledged program with schedules, time slots, computers and regulations. The project was a true test of grit and persistence, as there were many hurdles I had to clear in order to get to the finish line.

The idea originally popped into my head back in May, when I was taking Real and Recorded Time; a time-based art course taught by Fernando Orellana (to any Union students reading this, I highly recommend taking one of his courses). When I learned of the news that the digital art lab at Union would be receiving a total makeover in the coming year, the idea instantly came to me that the current computers could be used to create a digital art lab in Cambodia.

I became overly excited by the idea, and was soon having meetings with Fernando and the Chief Information Officer of Union. Everything was slowly falling into place. The idea was gaining traction, and I was able to secure the computers that were being replaced. While everything was moving along swimmingly, I would soon hit a snag.

Fernando came over to me one class and broke the news that the computers were being held by the department, as they have first dibs over where old equipment is allocated. Looking back he seemed more devastated than I was, because all I could think of was how to get the computers another way. Dwelling on the fact my first option gave through would be of no help.

I broke the news to the director of The Global Child and we figured the best way to acquire the computers for the new lab would be to purchase the computers in Cambodia, to avoid the astronomical costs of shipping. I didn't realize at first that this method would require a lot, and I mean a lot, of waiting. After several months of logistical coordination and talks with TGC's computer teacher, we received the donation we were waiting for and purchased our machines.

Thank god I had a native speaker with me at the store, as I don't think I would have navigated the conversation well on my own. A few minor issues came up with the computers once we made our deposit. First, the computers I decided to buy were falsely advertised, and it would cost an additional $45 per machine to upgrade the necessary components. Luckily, they upgraded the machines without charge in the end.

The machines were also supposed to come pre-installed with the Adobe products (a common luxury in Cambodia), but alas the store forgot. Someone had to be sent in after the fact, but once they came and went the computers were ready as ever to start creating. But my work was far from over.

My next challenge was deciding on who to let into the course, and when the class sessions would be held. Being the person that I am, I wanted to include as many students as possible, which meant each student would unfortunately get less time with the computers. I ultimately decided on letting any interested students in grade 12 take the class, since this would be their last year with me, and at TGC.

As for the two younger grades, grade 6 was not permitted to take the course as it would have been impossible for me to explain anything to them. Grade 9 students were allowed to take the course given they did not fail a class in the past month, and I opened up 3 sessions for staff members. In total, 20 people signed up for the class, and I neatly organized everyone into one or two of ten possible sessions a week. Part of me is kicking myself in the ass, as I have now added 10 extra hours of class a week to my already packed English class schedule.

But as of now, the class is running at full capacity and everyone seems to be having fun. One interesting observation is how much faster kids learn than adults. In the staff classes, I have had to walk them through literally every step of the way, whereas the kids seem to pick things up on their own. I was having a one on one class with one of the staff members the other day, and it took me an hour and a half to show them how to make a simple house. The same house would've taken the kids about 20 minutes I'd guess.

The class gave me a glimpse into how plastic the brain of a child is, and how rigid the brain of an adult is. This also became apparent to me when I gave English classes to the staff at Joe to Go. It is much harder to teach things to an adult than to a child, as an adult's brain has already finished developing and its neural pathways resemble paved road. A child can easily wander off the beaten path and create new associations freely. I am excited to see what my students will create in the next few months, as I am now racing against the clock to teach the material I have worked so hard to bring to TGC.

No comments:

Post a Comment